UCSI University’s Foundation in Music is specifically tailored and designed to prepare post-SPM students for UCSI University’s degrees in Classical and Contemporary Music. The three semesters foundation programme includes music core courses as well as general electives for students to choose from. Successful completion of the foundation programme will satisfy all entry requirements and allow for direct entry to the music degree programme outlined here.
Vary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with a minimum of 5 credits
At least C grade in 5 subjects
At least B grade in 3 subjects
Other qualifications deemed equivalent by Malaysian Qualifications Agency
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorisation is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
|Aural Diagnostic Test
- Repeat a melody and a rhythmic phrase from memory
|Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals, scales & key signatures, triads, grouping of notes and rests and foreign music terms.
English Language Requirements
- A score of 500 in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 5.0 in International Language Testing System (IELTS) or MUET Band 3 or its equivalent
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language are given exemption from requirement (a); or
- Candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are exempted from requirement (a) or
- A distinction (A+, A or A-) in the English Language subject at SPM/UEC level
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
- Choir 1-2 OR Orchestra 1-2
- Music Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Musicianship Skills 1-2
- Aural Foundation 1-2
- Experiencing Music
- Introduction to Music Professions
- Major Instrument 1-3
- Minor Instrument 1-3
- Writing for Academic Purposes
Students are required to complete 7 credit hours from the selection.
- Office Application
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Language and Communication
- Human Communication
- Positive Psychology
- Introduction to Malaysian Studies
- Introduction to Moral Studies
- Fundamentals of Oral Communication
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.