A programme curated for all aspiring music teachers, we set out to provide a comprehensive and relevant, yet wholesome syllabus that encompasses theory, aural and pedagogical aspects of the field which in return, would meet professional expectations and demands.
In addition to theoretical learning and harmony, we also provide real-world and practical subjects that explore the spheres of excellent teaching practice that enables various philosophies of education.
Students will acquire impressive instrumental and/or classroom teachings through our specialized core subjects offered in the programme.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with at least a ‘Cʼ grade (Credit) in 3 subjects
Pass with a minimum of GPA of 2.0 (Grade C) in 1 subject
Pass with at least a ‘Bʼ grade in 3 subjects
SKM/KKM (Level 3)
Pass SPM with at least a Credit in 1 subject and ‘program pengukuhanʼ (if needed)
KKM (Level 3)
Pass with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
Pass (pangkat maqbul)
Other credentials that are equivalent as recognized by the Malaysian government
AND pass Music Audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorisation is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
|Aural Diagnostic Test
- Repeat a melody and a rhythmic phrase from memory
|Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals, scales & key signatures, triads, grouping of notes and rests and foreign music terms.
- A score of 397 in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 4.0 in International Language Testing System (IELTS) or MUET Band 2 or its equivalent
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language are given exemption from requirement (a); or
- Candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are exempted from requirement (a) or
- A distinction (A+, A or A-) in the English Language subject at SPM/UEC level
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
Instrumental teaching in individual and group settings, classroom pedagogy, private, music institutions/centers
Production, recording, broadcasting.
Management, marketing, administration, retailing and sales.
- Choir 1-4 or Orchestra 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-4
- Masterclass Attendance 1-4
- Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Theory Studies 1-2 or Jazz Theory Studies 1-2
- Aural Training 1-4
- Keyboard Harmony
- Music Listening Skills
- Music in Malaysia – A Survey
- Classical Music Survey or Popular Music and Jazz Survey
- Major Instrument 1-5
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Introduction to Music Notation and Sequencing
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Approaches to Teaching 1-2
- Theories of Learning
- Instrumental Pedagogy
- Micro Macro Teaching
- Teaching Project
- Teaching Internship
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience 1-2
- Professional Skills
- Malaysian Eco-Tourism
- Malaysian Studies or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.